Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Andy-Kat

One of my best friends loves Kit Kats.  So, for his birthday present he asked me to try and create a cake version of the Kit Kat bar! He doesn't like frosting, so it was a little more of a challenge.  The only thing that I actually made for the recipe was the pastry cream.

Pastry Cream:
  • 2 cups whole, 2%, or 1% fat milk
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 6 egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Mix the milk and vanilla together. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch and beat  well until there aren't any lumps. Whisk in the milk mixture.  Cook over medium-high (you must whisk constantly) until it thickens and slowly boils. Turn the heat off, remove the pot, and stir in the butter.  Let it cool a bit, then put Saran-wrap on the surface so that a skin doesn't form (if you care about that sort of thing).  Dip in a spoon and taste it, because it's heaven in your mouth! 

I used a loaf pan to assemble the Andy-Kat.  I had wax paper on all of the sides on the inside so that I could get it out easily.  I then layered sugar wafers, pastry cream, thinly sliced pound cake, pastry cream, etc. until I was almost at the top of the pan.  I then poured melted milk chocolate over the top and froze the whole thing for a while.  A bit later I removed the Andykat from the freezer, popped it out of the pan, and poured melted chocolate all over.  I froze it again for a few hours, but I took it out of the freezer about 45 minutes before Andy's birthday party.  It tasted like a kitkat, but obviously it didn't have the same texture.  Operation Kit-Kat: Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment