Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Barbecue and Cupcakes

Today I cooked 2 things. One good, one not so good.  I will share the recipe for the good, and just share the pictures from the bad (nobody else needs to try this recipe).

THE GOOD - The pulled Hawaiian Chicken BBQ!  So so easy, and so so good.  Since I can't eat pulled pork bbq, eating pulled chicken is really a treat, and I'm very excited that I can make it at home! It's incredibly simple.  You take your crock pot, add chicken thigh filets (I added 1 package, but I think that 2 or 3 would be better, since the chicken cooks down), layer 1 diced onion on top of that, 1 can of pineapple sans juice, and 1 bottle of your favorite sauce.  Let it cook on high for 4-6 hours, and you've got dinner!  Plus, it made the house smell really really yummy all day!

right after I put all of the ingredients in

after about 2 hours

4 hours

5 hours

right before I took the meat out

the meat, out and shredded. tasty! we ate it on buns.


THE BAD - a white birthday cake recipe from The Clinton St. Baking Company cookbook.  The cake tasted flour-y and the icing had a very strange texture.  All in all, it didn't taste bad, but it didn't taste delicious either.  The good news is I got to use my new (used) mixer!  Maiden voyage - success! Here's a picture of the beauty:

Back to the cupcakes. Since we have a space-saver oven (a microwave that converts to an oven) conventional muffin pans don't work.  Luckily, I found these nifty cupcake cups at the local grocery! They can freestand while you bake, no pan needed! And, they're super cute.


Here are all of the cupcakes pre-baking:



The circular pan went into the microwave (so it could rotate, baking evenly), the square pan into our nifty toaster oven.  And here they are out of the oven!


Not too bad! Considering the state of our "ovens" I was impressed.  Too bad the taste was off :(.  And, here they are all iced and pretty, ready to go into school with Jake tomorrow.  I hope that all the soldiers are hungry enough to like them!


I did orange icing to go with the Halloween theme. I used my new piping bag to ice them, and it worked out well!

No comments:

Post a Comment